Sunday, November 25, 2012

Tweddell in Horsfall Turner's Yorkshire Bibliographer 1890

The following PDF article, from the Tweddell family collection, is an interview with George Markham Tweddell and his wife - Elizabeth Tweddell aka Florence Cleveland by S. Horsfall Turner in 1890, editor of the book Yorkshire Genealogist with which is Incorporated Yorkshire Bibliographer Volume 11 - published in Bradford. The full book is also now available to read on line here 

The full history of the Tweddell's can be read here on the Tweddell History site

George Markham Tweddell would have been about 66 when the interview was conducted in 1889, having been born in 1823. The Tweddell's were living at Rose Cottage (The Town House) in Bridge Street Stokesley and the interview provided a lot of useful background information on the couple and their work.

Horsfall gives a good account of George's early life and education, through to his employment as an apprentice printers, editor, poet, Oddfellow and author. Along the way he includes some great good wood cuts of the Cleveland area, poems by both George and his wife Elizabeth and his connections with literary friends such as Ebenezer Elliot.

To download the file - click the arrow which takes you to Google Drive 
When it opens - click the black arrow screen left to download to your computer.or for some - Click File and then click download in the menu and the tick Save.

Here are the woodcuts that are in the article but the right way up!

Roseberry Topping, Great Ayton

The Cleveland Coast

Mount Grace Priory

Kirklevington Castle Hill

Danby Church (St Hilda) of which the Rev J.C. Atkinson, author of Cleveland Ancient and Modern and Cleveland Dialect etc. was vicar, and this replaced an ancient chapel. The earthworks at Castleton and the ruins at Danby are worth visiting. (This note accompanied the woodcut).

The Bruces held this Lordship and the Latimers built the castle, which is still partly inhabited by a farmer. It passed by sale from the Earl of Danby to Lord Downe.

Saltburn by the Sea

Whorlton Castle Gatehouse is a fine example of Richard 11's period. It bears the arms of grey, Darcy and Meynill. The view of the surrounding countryside is very extensive. Under a canopy bearing the Meynill and Roos arms is the alter tomb of Nicholas de Meynill 1843 (it is believed), and placed upon the tomb is an oaken effigy of an earlier Meynill,cross-legged, with hawberk and hooded mail. Such oaken effigies arescarce in England, and this is one of the earliest. Our readers may have seen the specimen at Thornhill Church.

Whorlton Church Monument.

Zetland Hotel Saltburn

Kilton Castle remains are very scanty. They are in the upper Skinningrove valley and are all the remains of the stronghold of the Thwengs. In 1535, a 'sea man' was captured in Skinningrove and kept many weeks on raw fish but he escaped to the sea. Vistors to Hull Trinity House Museum will remember seeing relics there of another 'sea man'.

Kilton Castle

Yarm Railway

Guisborough Church - the burial place of the Bruces'

Brandsburton Church

Captain Cook's Monument on Easby Moor, erected 1827 by Robert Campion of Whitby, is a great landmark.

Marske Hall, near Saltburn, belongs to the Earl Zetland. It was built (temp. Chas 1) by sir Wm Pennyman.

No comments:

Post a Comment